The crisis in Egypt has not passed, but is heating up especially for Christians. Open Doors, an organization started by Brother Andrew reveals that that " Muslim extremists have gone on a rampage against our Christian brothers and sisters. they are destroying, looting and damaging their properties. "
The organization reports that over two hundred privately owned shops and homes, along with ninety -five church buildings, including orphanages have been destroyed. In addition, seven Christians have been murdered and seventeen kidnapped, while hundreds more have been injured. The brutality is severe with people being viciously killed in cold blood for defending their church.
These are statistics that do not often make the news, but are happening not only in Egypt but around the world. Open Doors and other organizations who serve the persecuted church worldwide report similar incidences in North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran to name just a few. So what can be done?
Pray for those being persecuted:
- that these Christians would be able to hold onto their faith and not retaliate
- that they would be able to forgive their enemies
- that they would rely on god for their strength and through their weakness show the power of Christ
- help church leaders as they reach out and comfort the brokenhearted and wounded
- help them to turn to God's promises and realize there is One stronger than those who are against them
- pray for reconciliation and a for god's will to be done in Egypt
In addition, your financial support for medical and restorative funds would greatly help these persecuted brothers and sisters. For more information visit Open Doors, Voice of the Martyrs or persecution. org.