1. News
  2. Politics
  3. Policy & Issues

California town can actually mandate Crime Free Zones

As innovative as I thought I was with the invention of the Crime Free Zone, I was not the first. Incredible as it may seem, I have found a municipal ordinance in Lancaster, California (That is about 40 miles north of Los Angeles), written in 2003, that explains how to create a Crime Free Zone in their city. The hard working folks there created Chapter 9.32 of their code of ordinances precisely to establish crime free zones. According to the ordinance, the city council has the power to establish the zone by defining its boundaries, announcing it and putting up signage announcing its existence. The procedure is summed up like this:

9.32.030 - Procedure for establishing a crime free zone.

A. The city council may declare any area a crime free zone by adoping a resolution setting forth the boundaries of such an area

B .In determining whether to designate a crime free zone, the city council shall consider the following:

1. The occurrence of a disproportionately high number of arrests for the possession or distribution of illegal drug crimes against property and crimes against persons in the proposed crime free zone;
  2. Objective evidence or verifiable information that shows that illegal drugs are being sold and distributed within the proposed crime free zone; and
  3. Any other verifiable information from which the city council may ascertain whether the health and safety of residents who live in the proposed crime free zone are endangered by the purchase, sale, or use of illegal drugs or other illegal activity.

(Ord. 817 § 2 (part), 2003)

After that, it is simply a matter of putting up signs to let the good folks of Lancaster know the boundaries and you are all set!  Maybe they will adopt my sign.

More from Gun Rights Examiners

Atlanta: Ed Stone  |  Austin: Howard Nemerov  |  Boston: Ron Bokleman  |  Charlotte: Paul Valone  | Cheyenne: Anthony Bouchard  |  Chicago: Don Gwinn  |  Cleveland: Daniel White  |  DC: Mike Stollenwerk  |  Denver: Dan Bidstrup | Des Moines: Sean McClanahan | Detroit: Rob Reed |  Fort Smith: Steve D. Jones  |  Grand Rapids: Skip Coryel  |  Knoxville: Liston Matthews |   |  Los Angeles: John Longenecker | Minneapolis: John Pierce  |  National: David Codrea  | Parkersburg: Nicholas Arnold  | Phoenix: Douglas Little  | Pittsburgh: Dan Campbell  |  Seattle: Dave Workman  |  St. Louis: Kurt Hofmann  |  Tucson: Chris Woodard  |  Wisconsin: Gene German

Comments

• Scorpion 4 years ago

So if someone commits a crime in a designated "crime free" zone, is it still a "crime free" zone? Can someone be prosecuted for committing a crime in a "crime free" zone? If it's really a "crime free" zone, how can a crime be committed or a prosecution be successful?

I'm so confused!

• robert 4 years ago

Even if all the criminals attempting to commit criminal acts are caught in the crime free zone the zone is still not crime free.How does the city council prove a zone is crime free? What about all the other types of crimes? Are these now non-crimes including murder? Why would someone want to live ina town that has nothing better to do than come up with laws basef on this type of airhead thinking? Only in California can stupidity be elected to office. I saw a tee-shirt that said"Sorry I might be a miracle worker but I can't cure stupidity" I think I know where that tee shirt might have gotten it's start. Just when you think you have seen it all Dan shows you people can be dumber than before. Do you know what creates a crime free zone. Nearly everyone living in that zone having a gun and knowing how to use it. Criminals will go commit crimes where there is less of a chance of being shot before the cops arrive. Afterall, they are in it for the wealth not to get shot. Go to Lancaster.

• Carl from Chicago 4 years ago

Is this ... for real? Declaring some but not other places as "crime free zones?"

The Mad Hatter strikes again!!

• Luis 4 years ago

This just in:

SCOTUS has ruled on McDonald v. Chicago. By a 5-4 vote, SCOTUS struck down Chicago's ban. Alito wrote the majority opinion.

Go to Yahoo news.

• straightarrow 4 years ago

dorky is as dorky does

• Ted 4 years ago

Now I have heard it all!! And someone elected these people!! SAD!!

• PincheOgro1 4 years ago

What an idiot. an like the criminals are going to respect the "signs"... OMG

• straightarrow 4 years ago

Just think if we could put some "Idiot Free Zone" signs up, the statehouse would be deserted and all municipal buildings from the mayors' offices on down would be abandoned. that couldn't help but be an improvement for Ca. Of course at least 50% + 1 residents would have to somehow disappear.

• 4armed 4 years ago

So, the more crime there is in an area, the more the local politicians are allowed to lie to the citizens by saying there isn't any crime in the area...

"So come on in, bring the family, it's a crime free zone. You are safe."

Someone is definitely "stuck on stupid".

• Jesse 4 years ago

Wouldn't the city leaders want the whole town to be crime-free?
    Why would you tolerate crime in some areas but not others?

• CharlesP 4 years ago

I grew up in a town that was a crime free zone.
    It was a corrupt town in the suburbs of Chicago.
    It was crime free because the Police in that city and several others, nearby, were ALLL RUN BY THE CHICAGO MAFIA!!!
    Adults who wanted to abuse or molest children would INTENTIONALLY MOVE THERE, because the schools would NOT report abuse/neglect/molesatation.
    The Dept of Children and Family services was FORBIDDEN TO COME INTO THESE CITIES/TOWNS!
    The Local Phone company (Centel) would NOT ALLOW YOU TO PHONE FOR OUTSIDE HELP (they would redirect phone calls to the local police without telling you. The Cops would pretend to be from whatever county/state/federal agency you THOUGHT you were talking to, THEN SEND COPS OUT TO BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOU!!
    (note: this was why MASS MURDERER JOhn WAYNE GACY LIVED THERE- Police were covering up for him, FOR DECADES!!)
    Schools CLAIMED to have no gangs, and PARENTS WOULD BELIEVE school principals RATHER THAN THEIR OWN KIDS!!!!

• CharlesP 4 years ago

I live in a CRIME FREE ZONE NOW!
    EVeryone KNOWS that the County Police deptartments OUTSIDE I-285 of Atlanta, GA are all controlled by the Dixie MAFIA!
    They were caught in the early 1970's for corruption, and they later made these events DISAPPEAR FROM HISTORICAL RECORDS!!!
    I KNOW that this happened, because the Dixie MAFIA put a contract out on the life of the FBI AGENT who made the arrests of the entire gwinnett police dept. I was the kid who had to save the FBI agents' life, BY stopping the professional assassin!
    ALL the STUPID YUPPIES who now live in Atlanta ALL INSIST THAT THEY LIVE IN GOOD DECENT TOWNS!
    THESE people like the corruption, because they were all raised TO BE LIARS AND CROOKS, TOO!!!
    I have reported MORE CRIMES BY THE CORRUPT POLICE THAN BY CITIZENS (although it is close to being a tie)!

• straightarrow 4 years ago

Let me offer this. Why have they not declared their entire city a "Cancer-Free Zone"? Just think how much economic benefit they receive from the influx of cancer patients and those who fear getting cancer. If this crap works, are they not remiss in not doing so. Look at the lives they could save.

Until they can manage that effectively, I don't think I place much faith in their proclamations.

• Kevin Wilmeth - Anchorage Libertarian Examiner 4 years ago

Hm, the concept of a "Crime-Free Zone" may have some unexpected merit after all. As alluded to in other comments here, a social malcontent could quite reasonably pick such a zone for his predations precisely because he knows that reporting is discouraged for the purpose of maintaining the facade. It sounds like--surprise--that this may already be an established pattern.

Why shouldn't this tactic also be available to the peaceable millions who commit "mala prohibita" offenses that harm no one? Why, I would think that a "Crime-Free Zone" would be just the sort of place I would pick if I wanted, say, to partake of a little herb. Not only might reporting be less likely, but I would seem to have an affirmative legal defense:

"Look, your honor, all I did was smoke a little weed, which would have been a crime...if it had not happened in a Crime-Free Zone. Since the location has legally been declared crime-free, what I did cannot possibly have been a crime. QED."

• mrtwigg 4 years ago

I'll bet unicorns will fart butterflies if this "No Crime" zone actually works.