Making health & fitness New Year's resolutions after a season of overindulgences has become a "way of life" for many, which makes the California Living 2014 Super Health & Fitness Special airing on ION Media Networks in the San Francisco and Sacramento markets on 1/2/2014 all the more timely. To help get your New Year's health & fitness resolutions going - below is an inside look at California Living TV's Top 10 Fun & Easy Calorie Burners based on the breakthrough diet and fitness principles revealed in the Party Girl Diet's new Super Abs Playbook:
- • Sleep: Inside Look TV starts off California Living's list of fun and easy ways to burn calories with one activity that requires very little effort and delivers huge health rewards - sleep. In addition to being critical to your overall health and wellbeing, getting proper sleep, which is about 7-8 hours a night also burns approximately 80 calories an hour in Basal Metabolism alone, which is the amount of energy required to maintain the body in a resting state. Keep in mind to reap this calories burning benefit, refrain from eating 3 hours before you go to bed. As documented in the Party Girl Diet's Super Abs Playbook, getting the right amount of sleep nightly also encourages the proper management of stress hormones, a critical component to good health.
- • Playing Frisbee: This is a fun and easy calorie burner you can do practically anywhere there is some open space to play - and burns up to 175 calories an hour while working your arms, shoulders and enhancing hand-eye coordination.
- • Free-Style Dancing: Grab a friend or your sweetie and head to your favorite club to dance the night away to the tune of a calorie burn of up to 220 calories every 30 minutes. Free-style dancing is also something you can easily do in the privacy of your own home for a fun and easy abs workout - so go ahead and dance up a sweat - it will do your body good.
- • Boogie Boarding: Burn up to 200 - 250 calories and hour. Combine this activity with walking on the beach (#6 below) and you'll be well on your way to burning mega-calories enjoying a fun day at the beach.
- • Circuit Training: The Super Abs Playbook's Abs Workout previewed in the video on this page is an example of a circuit training abs workout routine; which is a form of body conditioning or resistance training using high-intensity aerobics. It incorporates both strength building and muscular endurance. An exercise "circuit" is one completion of all prescribed exercises in the program. When one circuit is complete, one begins the first exercise again for the next circuit. In most cases, the time between exercises in circuit training is short, often with rapid movement to the next exercise. Circuit training burns approximately 285 calories in 30 minutes, depending on the intensity in which the exercises are performed, and an individual's height, weight, etc.
- • Brisk Walking on the Beach: While including all types of walking into your day is a step in the right direction, Walking or running on deep, loose sand engages more muscle fibers and challenges your balance more than walking on flat surfaces. You'll burn up to 300 - 800 calories an hour walking on the beach, and the deeper the sand the bigger the calorie burn.
- • Jump Rope: While a bit tougher on the knees - jumping rope is a great way to shred the fat layer off your abs and offers a calorie burn of approximately 374 calories in 30 minutes. Keep in mind, you can break up your workout into 10 minute increments and gain the same benefits you would working out for 30 minutes straight.
- • Running in the ocean or pool: This offers a lower impact activity compared to running on solid ground and offers a calorie burn of up to 573 calories an hour for a 150 lb. woman.
- • Hula Hooping: Here's the perfect easy and fun calorie burner and abs workout that torches approximately 100 calories in just 10 minutes. Hula hoop while watching your favorite 30 minute show and you'll rack up a 300 calories burn and have a lot of fun doing it. Choose an adult hoop - which should come up to your chest when standing it upright on level ground.
- • Inside Look TV finales *California Living's Top-10 List of Fun & Easy Ways to Burn Calories with a water sport for both fun and fitness: Stand-Up Paddle Boarding, also known as SUPing. Women can burn approximately 500 - 800 calories an hour, and men can burn up to 800 - 1,000 calories an hour Stand-Up Paddle Boarding, an activity that offers a great abs workout and incorporates using practically every muscle in your body.
In Inside Look TV's California Living Super Health & Fitness Special, big wave surfer legend, and Mavericks Surf Competition Founder Jeff Clark reveals Stand-up Paddle Boarding is his calorie burning activity of choice to stay in top physical condition.
California living is all about enjoying a healthy, fun lifestyle and taking advantage of all the healthy living we can get into in California's amazing outdoors we are lucky enough to call home. The most important thing to keep in mind is, while incorporating some or all of the easy and fun way to burn calories above will help you live a happier, healthier life - consistently doing the physical activities you love most will ensure you will achieve your 2014 New Year's health and fitness resolutions.
Here's to making all of your New Year's Resolutions a reality, and may 2014 be your happiest, healthiest and fittest year yet ~ Aprilanne
*Approximate calories burned listed above are based on a 150 lb. woman and calories burned will vary depending on an individual's height, weight, and the intensity in which an activity is performed.