On Tuesday, Aug. 5 and Thursday, Aug. 7, the “CALIFORNIA LIVING® Super Health & Fitness Special” dishes an insider’s guide to summer "health & fitness" to include a look at the new Party Girl Diet's Super Abs Playbook Workout, and healthy "summer recipes" using local, "fresh produce" including super foods like watermelon - with Safeway Culinary Kitchens Executive Chef Jeff Anderson and Art Perry on location at George Perry and Sons family farm in Manteca, Calif.
California "Health & Fitness" is all about taking advantage of our amazing climate, which offers a plethora of outdoor fitness opportunities that naturally exercise our mind, body and spirit. That's right, Californians can enjoy hiking, biking and water sports such as body surfing and stand-up paddle boarding all year round. California "Health & Fitness" is also about honoring the earth and the foods we harvest from our great land by planting and maintaining a garden and enjoying the fruits of your labor: summer recipes centered around local, fresh produce.
It's interesting to point out, California continuously ranks #1 in the country for agriculture, and with this in mind, dishing "summer recipes" which spotlight local, fresh produce and "farm-to-table" ingredients is what CALIFORNIA LIVING® is all about. Here in California, Culinary pros like Safeway’s Culinary Kitchens’ Executive Chef Jeff Anderson, make it their job to create fun and nutritious recipes and easy ways to incorporate fresh, local produce in season to share with shoppers...and in this case, CALIFORNIA LIVING® viewers in the San Francisco and Sacramento markets on ION Television.
As far as how to "pick the perfect watermelon," Art Perry of George Perry and Sons shares his "3 Steps to Pick the perfect watermelon" below:
- Weight test: When you pick it up, the watermelon should feel heavy and dense for its size.
- Shape test: While it can be round or oblong, the watermelon should be symmetrical, and have a nice even look to it.
- Sound test: Perry calls this his "ping ping test," which is the sound you should hear when you tap the top of the watermelon wit your fingers. Not a dud sound, " Perry notes, you will want to hear a "ping ping sound."
Viewers get insight on the benefits and importance of choosing "local fresh produce" whenever possible, learn about the ongoing relationship Safeway and George Perry and Sons enjoy, and an inside look at a few"Party Girl Diet™ Approved” fun and easy – ways to serve up fresh, healthy watermelon such as "Black Bean a Watermelon Salsa" and "Watermelon with Balsamic Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper" at your next summer picnic, BBQ or pool party…all compliments of Safeway Culinary Kitchens Executive Chef Jeff Anderson.
Additional CALIFORNIA LIVING® "Super Health & Fitness" highlights in this show include:
- Party Girl Diet's NEW Super Abs Workout (See iMovie Trailer on this page produced by Inside Look TV).
- Inside Look at how to make authentic Italian stuffed Artichokes
- A comprehensive review of "Top Easy & Fun Calorie Burners."
- Fun Stand-Up Paddle Boarding segment fun with big wave surfer legend and Mavericks' Surf Competition Founder Jeff Clark in Half Moon Bay, Calif.