Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Top News

California court rules 'Innocence of Muslims' infringed on copyright laws

See also

Reported yesterday, Feb. 28 the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ordered Google to take down its YouTube video post of "Innocence of Muslims".

The controversial video sparked outrage in 2012 within the Muslim communities around the world. Seemingly causing the Benghazi, Libya attacks, which allegedly lead to the death of a U.S. Ambassador, Christopher Stevens, along with Navy Seals. The attacks also led to heavy debates in Washington regarding the lack of security for U.S. diplomats.

Apparently the film had incited deadly protests throughout the Middle East, some Muslims burned the U.S. flag during protests, while others caused havoc to the U.S. Embassies, and burning down anything seen related to the U.S.

Protesters who opposed the YouTube posting believe it was a disgraceful mockery of their religion. Some Kashmiri Muslim protestors carried signs demanding to "behead the man who insulted our religion." The video brought so much deadly vengeance, even President Barack Obama requested the 13 minute YouTube video be pulled. Then Cindy Lee Garcia, the actress in the video brought suit asking for her role in the film to be taken out. Garcia based her defense on the fact that she had been mislead, and her roles were exceedingly editorialized in the video -- to a degree that the words she read during filming never came out of her mouth. She further pleaded the video has lead to her life becoming jeopardized due to those edits, which were unbeknownst to her.

Owner Google has defended the case by stating, they have the right under the U.S. First Amendment and other areas to keep the video up.

But this latest ruling for the controversial YouTube video came down to copyright protection laws.

Chief Judge Alex Kozinski said, the case ruling will not be a catch all for all actors. And the facts of the case remain the actress, Cindy Lee Garcia, had "irreparable harm" due to the switched verbiage in the film that she did not sign onto, and infringed on her copyright laws. It was reported that Garcia had asked for just her segments to be edited out, but the court went further and required the entire video to be taken down.

Google has filed an emergency motion, and plans to appeal this latest decision.

Garcia and her attorney are very excited about the outcome. Her attorney said, the court order was the "right thing to do."

Advertisement

News

  • Baseball Hall of Fame
    The Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown welcomes six new inductees
    Video
    Video
  • 2012 do-over
    If we were to re-do the 2012 election, a new poll suggests Romney would win
    Politics
  • Boko Haram
    Boko Haram kidnaps the wife of the vice prime minister of Cameroon
    World News
  • Ceasefire breaks
    Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu claims Hamas broke another brief ceasefire
    Gaza
  • Close call with CME
    Scientists tell how Earth survived a giant solar flare back in 2012
    Space
  • Comic-Con
    What's going on at Comic-Con? Get all the latest updates here
    Comic-Con