Want to extend your life? A new study points to foods and supplements high in calcium as the way for women to succeed with that goal, reported RTT News on August 30. When researchers at Canada's McGill University evaluated the health records for men and women for the past 10 years, women who consumed at least 1000 mg of calcium daily lived longer than the others.
"Our study found daily use of calcium supplements was associated with a lower risk of death among women. The benefit was seen for women who took doses of up to 1,000 mg per day, regardless of whether the supplement contained vitamin D," stated the researchers. That amount of calcium is consistent with FDA recommendations, which advise both men and women to take at least 1,000 mg of calcium daily.
Don't like milk or allergic to it? You have many options for getting that dose of calcium, including:
- Enriched almond or soy milk, such as Silk Pure Almond Vanilla with 45 percent of your daily calcium per serving.
- Calcium supplements, such as Os-Cal Chewable Calcium 500 + 600iu D3.
- Protein powder, which you can use to make shakes, such as Pure Protein 100 % Natural Whey Protein Vanilla Creme.
- Calcium-enriched cereal, such as Total Whole Grain Cereal.
- Dark leafy greens such as kale.