The California State Fair opened on July 11 this year of 2014. The days move quick and the fair is nearly half over and will celebrate its final day on July 27. Thousands have already found their way to the Carnival, the Exhibits, the Food Court, the Farm and the Big Barn. A few extremely hot days hasn't stopped people from coming out and catching the shows and treating their kids to a full day of State Fair "Dream Big" fun and excitement.
A nearby grass fire on July 15 caused a bit of concern that the fair might be effected but the primary result was a traffic crunch, poor air conditions and the woes of yet another fire in the drought dried lands in Sacramento. The fair goes on with rides spinning, children clapping, horses stomping, foods sizzling, music serenading and exhibits delighting and educating.
If you haven't been to the CA State Fair yet, or plan to return, there are a few good things to remember before you step out the front door. You may want to consider bringing the following for you and your family's comfort and safety.
- Shading and lightweight hats
- Sunglasses and, for the older folks, those reading glasses to decipher the CA State Fair program
- Comfortable shoes
- Bottled water (outside food and beverages are allowed inside the fair but no cans, glass, or alcohol. Ice coolers will be searched.
- A secure purse or wallet that can't be easily accessed by strangers
- A stroller to give the little ones a rest
- Cell phone with emergency numbers handy. Call (916) 263-3050 for Cal Expo Police for info/report of lost child.
- A plan for the day so you don't miss favorites
The Tuesday "Kids Day" saw many families in attendance at the fair. All Tuesdays are "Kids Days" with free entrance for children 12 and under and $1 rides. You can read more about the Tuesday specials at "It's free Kids Day at the CA State Fair."
Every family has a different focus but children inevitably love the animals, the petting zoo, children's rides and all the colors and dazzle of the fair. Take a peek at the accompanying slideshow for a glimpse of some of the daily favorites at the 2014 CA State Fair including Freestyle Motocross, the Big Barn, Youth acts, horses, goats and more.