“My Two Dads” was a comedy series that ran on television from 1987 to 1990. At the time, having two fathers must have struck the programming decision-makers at NBC as a novelty.
In its take on the law, the Los Angeles Times notes in its opening paragraph that conservative groups view the measure as an attack on the traditional family.
The bill’s author, Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) acknowledged that the law would the courts to recognize three or more legal parents so that custody and financial responsibility can be shared by all those involved in raising a child:
Courts need the ability to recognize these changes so children are supported by the adults that play a central role in loving and caring for them. It is critical that judges have the ability to recognize the roles of all parents so that no child has to endure separation from one of the adults he or she has always known as a parent.
But critics point out the serious problems inherent in the measure. Brad Dacus, president of the Pacific Justice Institute, said there is a potential for greater conflict over what is best for a child, which could result in more complicated court fights:
This is in the long run going to be a mistake. The ones who are going to pay the price are not the activists, but it's going to be children, who will see greater conflict and indecision over matters involving their well-being.
Ed Howard, senior counsel for the Children's Advocacy Institute at the University of San Diego School of Law, saw the law as a positive step.
Everyone who places the interests of children first and realizes that judges shouldn't be forced to rule in ways that hurt children should cheer this bill becoming law.
Brown vetoed a similar bill last year, but was unwilling to say what led him to change his mind this time around.
- CA joins NJ in criminalizing ‘revenge porn’
- Husband, wife of 20 years ‘come out’ together
- California passes law mandating teaching of gay history: Now what?
- White House celebrates Bisexual Visibility Day with official closed-door event
- Confession: Teacher goes from being male to female, from fun to blah
- Feds have spent $2.2 million to study lesbian obesity
- Protests force closure of bakery that refused to bake gay wedding cake
- Russian gold medal winner offended by lesbian accusation
- Lesbian teen crowned as homecoming ‘king’
- CT high school play that includes gay kiss creates furor