Come find me. I'll be the guy in the movie T-shirt buying comics.
Today marks the opening of C2E2, the BRAND NEW MIB!!! Chicago-based convention celebrating all disciplines of dork culture. Thus begins three days of quivering infectious fanboy fervor at McCormick Place downtown. Convention neophytes should probably seek inoculation before the doors open today at 1pm.
Sure, Chicago - well, Rosemont, technically - has hosted Wizard World (Now Chicago Comic-Con) for years, but if you attended last year's edition you saw what has definitely been the lowest point in a slow decline for the once flourishing convention. When you can't even get the comic book industry's Big Two to show up, you've got a problem.
This weekend's event, by all accounts, promises to recapture, and possibly exceed, the former glory of Wizard World. C2E2 comes from the same guys who have been doing New York Comic Con and, as a happy attendee of NYCC for two years, I can say this is a very good sign. Not convinced spending 25 bucks for a day pass or twice as much for a weekend one will improve your life? Now is the time when I tempt you with promised convention highlights:
- You can spend an Evening with Neil Gaiman, which may or may not be as sexy as that sounds.
- A bunch of actors will be waiting at McCormick Place to remind you how there once was, and may again be, a Star War.
- The glimmer of hope that you can one day own something Robert Downey, Jr. sweat in.
- The freaking Ghost Hunters will be there, providing an excellent model to all attendees on how to make money by being excited about completely intangible made up crap.
- Two Doctor Whos will screen! You've just doubly justified wearing your hipster scarf.
- The stars of Kick-Ass will be in attendance today at 2pm, ready to inappropriately sign any issues of the Kick-Ass comic book that they literally had nothing to do with.*
- The Cleveland Show! Wait, what?
- Sportsball guys reading stuff.
- Finally, Aniplex's Gurren Lagann The Movie: Childhood's End and Gurren Lagann The Movie: Part 2 - The Lights in the Sky Are Stars will screen back-to-the-back-back. ...I have no idea what these are.
- Additional things!
I'll attempt to keep you up to date on this thing as time allows. For real time updates on the convention, follow me on Twitter @ChiComicsExam. Just kidding! Twitter is dumb.
See you this weekend, nerds.
*Nicolas Cage not included.