When it’s hot, it’s time to serve hamburgers. Burgers are the classic American standby for grillers in the Harrisburg area, but we don’t want to get bored by the same old thing. Here are a bunch of different hamburger topping ideas. You’ll find lots of variety here, including a local PA Dutch burger.
- PA Dutch Burger- warm sauerkraut and caraway seeds on potato rolls
- Reuben Burger- warm sauerkraut with melted swiss cheese and 1000 island dressing on rye
- California Burger-mashed avocado, sprouts, swiss cheese, and tomato
- Chili Burger- topped with chili, shredded cheddar, chopped onion, chopped tomato, and sour cream, served open face
- Swiss Mushroom Burger- sautéed onions, mushrooms, and melted swiss cheese
- BLT Burger- crisp bacon, lettuce, and sliced tomato (cook the bacon in the microwave)
- Hot Stuff Burger- salsa, sour cream, pepper jack cheese, and shredded lettuce
- Blue Burger- melted blue cheese, lettuce, tomato, and thinly sliced sweet onion
- BBQ Burger- sliced onion and BBQ sauce (Make homemade BBQ sauce)
- Pizza Burger- green pepper, onion, spaghetti sauce, and shredded mozzarella
- Bite Me Burger-mayo mixed with horseradish, and swiss cheese
- Italian Salad Burger- shredded lettuce and diced tomato in Italian salad dressing
- Crunchy Slaw burger- coleslaw
- For more burger variety, try serving on toasted whole wheat buns, or on substantial slices of sourdough, rye, or multigrain breads. If you heap your burger high with delicious, messy toppings, serve it open face on a plate with a knife and fork.
If you have more ideas for burger toppings, and I’m sure you do, please add them at the bottom in the comments section.