February is full of fun things to do, all for free!
For all events, please show up 15 minutes before the start time to receive a free ticket/pass to the event/activity:
- Valentine Jars. Thursday, February 13 from 4:30 to 5:15. Decorate a special jar for Valentine’s Day. Intended for children in kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Valentine’s Day Chocolate Tasting. Friday, February 14 from 4:30 to 5:30. Sample white, dark, and milk chocolates and vote on your favorites. Intended for teenagers.
- Cave Paintings. Thursday, February 27 from 4:30 to 5:15. Learn about the cave paintings of Lascaux. Intended for children in kindergarten through fifth grade.
Lakeshore Learning has locations throughout Houston. Check for the closest location using their website. Their offerings for February include:
- My Collage Picture Frame. February 15, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Children can make a ‘super-special’ frame using sparkles, sequins, and other fun craft materials.
- Jester Hat. February 22, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Children can create their own jester’s cap.
The Clear Lake City-County Freeman Branch of the Houston Library, located at 16616 Diana Lane in Houston. For more information on the events, contact them at 281-488-1906. Tickets are required for each event, but are available for free 30 minutes before the event begins – just check in with the Kids Information Desk.
In February, they are offering four events for children.
- Black History Month. Thursday, February 13 at 4:30 p.m. Children will get to weave their own craft, drawing on the inspiration of the colorful Kente cloth of Africa. There will also be a short movie, music, and a treat.
- Valentine’s Day Craft and Treat. Friday, February 14 at 2:30 p.m. Children get to create three different items: a robot Valentine craft, a tasty Valentine treat, and a special Valentine card.
- Mardi Gras Shoebox Float. Thursday, February 20 at 4:30 p.m. This craft will take place in the Rotunda area and is meant for children between the ages of 5 and 12. Children will be provided with shoeboxes and decorated and will get to create their own floats for an in-library ‘parade.’ The floats will be kept on display in the library until March 4, at which time children can come and pick up their creations.
- Dr. Seuss Birthday Party. Thursday, February 27 at 6:30 p.m. As part of the Read Across America program, the library will celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday with crafts, games, a movie, and food. The party is appropriate for kids of all ages.
Lowe’s Home Improvement offers free Kids Clinics. Parents should register in advance to make sure that there is a local Lowe’s offering the clinic, and in order to ensure that there are enough materials. Registration can be done through their website.
In February, Lowe’s is offering a chance for kids to build their own claw game on Saturday, February 22 at 10 a.m.