It's time again for the annual entomological extravaganza, insect insanity, bug blitz that is Hokie Bugfest!
This Saturday, October 19, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., the Virginia Tech Department of Entomology and Virginia 4-H will co-host the third annual Hokie Bugfest at the Inn at Virginia Tech.
Designed for families and fun for all ages, this year's Bugfest will feature exhibits including:
- The Bug Zoo - includes over 50 species of tarantulas, roaches, mantids, millipedes, whipscorpions, scorpions, and beetles: visit this web page to meet the bugs.
- How Bugs Work
- Forest Entomology
- Silkworm Farming
- Professor Alwood's Haunted Bug House - Fun House of "Scary Bug Stuff!"
- Demonstration hive and beekeeper education provided by the New River Beekeepers
- Gypsy moth GIS & Spatial Technology Lab
- "Robotic Bugs" provided by Hexbugs
- Virginia Tech Apiculture Laboratory will offer bee suits, equipment, posters, pollinators, research
- Picture yourself as an insect, a great photo opportunity for all
- "Are you a Wizard of Entomology?" - kids can answer questions and spin the prize wheel
- Bug vision - try on some very "bug eyed" glasses and see the world through an insect's eyes!
- Cockroach races - pick your roach in the cockroach stables and see whose roach wins them a prize.
- Test your knowledge of insects and arthropods! - test your insect intelligence with the Alwood Society.
- The Tank of Doom - be a brave bug lover and put your hand in the tank.
- Buggy Creations Corral - art and craft stations for kids including making a sun-catcher, a sand art bug magnet, and an insect finger puppet, creating cockroach art, face painting and bug tattoos.
- Cockroach tractor pull
- Beware of the tick - a hidden hazard of outdoor activities.
- Luminescent Cave
- Guess how many crickets are in the cricket tank and win prizes
- Feed Professor Phillips' hungry pet tarantulas - "Harry and Matilda" (every half hour) - near Bug Zoo
- 4-H Bug collection judging
- Virginia Museum of Natural History
- Science Museum of Western Virginia
- Junior Entomologists' table - pick up a quiz form and scavenger hunt, complete and return both, and and receive a Junior Entomologist certificate and a special prize.
Enjoy performances by the Alberti Flea Circus (three shows - every 2 hours starting at 10:30 a.m.) and visits from the Hokie Bird (2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.) and the HokieTron (10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.).
Kids can also try out more than a dozen great, free, interactive and educational computer games and apps at the Virginia 4-H iPad Lab:
- Necta Collecta Lite
- Anthill Free
- Bees HD
- wiseHopper Jr.
- Dynastid Beetle
- Amazing Match
- The Bugs Show
- iBee Lite
- Insect Puzzle HD
- AAA Typing Bee
- Creatures of Light - American Museum of Natural History
Visitors are encouraged to park in the event parking area at the Inn at Virginia Tech. This event grows more popular each year. Last year, attendance topped 3,600 over the span of the event.
If you found this information helpful, please click on the subscribe link above to be notified whenever this Examiner posts a new article.