The game may have left a bit to be desired, but this year's Super Bowl commercials scored big. The standout commercial seems to be Budweiser's heart-stirring story of a puppy and his best friend, a Clydesdale horse. Leave it to Budweiser to top their own dog/horse buddy story from last year's Super Bowl commercials. This video highlights this year's commercial alongside some of the classic Budweiser spots from previous years.
"Never mind that it aired with just two minutes left in a dog of a game," USA Today writes, the ad "about a spunky puppy who is adopted but keeps coming back home to the Clydesdale horse it loves" scored highest with the newspaper's online audience of 6,272 voters.
Other ads that scored well with USA Today's panelists include the following:
- Doritos' "Cowboy Kid"
- Budweiser's "Hero's Welcome"
- Doritos' "Time Machine"
- Radio Shack's "Phone Call"
USA Today's Super Bowl Ad Meter lists the following top 10 commercials, with the score for each:
- Budweiser "Puppy Love" (8.29)
- Doritos "Cowboy Kid" (7.58)
- Budweiser "Hero's Welcome" (7.21)
- Doritos "Time Machine" (7.13)
- Radio Shack "Phone Call" (7)
- Hyundai "Sixth Sense" (6.87)
- General Mills Cheerios "Gracie" (6.75)
- Microsoft "Technology" (6.65)
- Coca Cola "Going All the Way" (6.42)
- Pepsi "Soundcheck" (6.3)