Fans are still talking about the Budweiser 2013 Super Bowl commercial titled “Brotherhood” that generated huge social media buzz and praise from ad critics after it aired on Super Bowl Sunday. As of Feb. 5, the Super Bowl ad has been viewed more than 10 million views on YouTube and has more than 45,000 “likes” on Facebook. Budweiser’s touching Super Bowl commercial is still being praised for being warm and inspirational, without replying on cheesy sex appeal gimmicks or celebrities. After it aired on Super Bowl Sunday, social media light up like fireworks, generating more than 60,000 tweets, Facebook comments and other messages.
The star of Budweiser’s Super Bowl 2013 commercial was a foal born on Jan. 16 at the company’s ranch in Missouri. On Feb. 4, Budweiser announced the name of the adorable foal after launching a national naming contest. Landslide (the name of the song) and Stevie (for Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks) were considered, but in the end officials picked Hope as the foal’s name, while naming a second foal Stan. “Tens of thousands of name ideas poured in via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and more. We had so many, we realized we couldn’t pick just one, so we named two foals instead,” Budweiser posted on Facebook on Monday.
For decades, the Budweiser Clydesdales have been synonymous with the Super Bowl. The beer manufacturer scored the biggest coup of any other advertiser in 2013 with its heartwarming commercial called “Brotherhood.” The ad chronicled the bond a foal shares with its trainer, all set to Fleetwood Mac’s emotional song “Landslide.” Viewers saw them bond in a stable and run alongside each other, one in a truck and the other on foot. The two were reunited at a parade when the fully-grown Clydesdale ran to its long lost friend. Response on Twitter remains very favorable and positive. Below are a few posts from Feb. 4.
- “I still cry when I watch the commercial…THE BEST BUD HAS EVER DONE!” – Windi Griffin
- “That was my favorite commercial.” – Treshermie Mendoza
- “I absolutely loved it. Best commercial I have ever seen. Fabulous! –Joyce Neel
- “No matter how many times I watch this…tears…and a smile. Thanks for making my day.” – Kathleen Dempsey
- “Makes me cry. Wonderful unconditional love!” – Vickie Erben
As of Feb. 5, the commercial has been viewed on YouTube more than 10 million times and that number is still climbing rapidly. While most advertisers fumbled the ball, Budweiser went straight to the heart with its warm and fuzzy commercial. The star of the Budweiser Super Bowl ad, Hope, now weighs 200 pounds and is expected to weigh 2,000 pounds when she reaches maturity. To re-watch “Brotherhood,” be sure to click on the video.
- 2013 Super Bowl commercials: The best (Budweiser), the bad and the worst
- Super Bowl ads: Kia attempts to answer ‘Where do babies come from?’ in 2013
- Best Super Bowl photos and moments from 2013
- How will 2013 Super Bowl commercials stack up against the best from 2012?
- 2013 Super Bowl commercials: Five Doritos spots compete for $1M prize
- Beyonce joins the Super Bowl ranks of Michael Jackson and The Rolling Stones
- The Sunday Funnies: The best Super Bowl commercial of all time
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you'll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest TV news.