Are you looking for a low cost, high in nutrition recipe that even the pickiest eaters in your family will love? Then you should try this easy, delicious, extra creamy, bacon and tomato mac and cheese. Its very economical when you are on a budget, and it combines two of everyone's favorite ingredients, bacon and macaroni and cheese. The other ingredients are well balanced and added for nutrition and appearance. It looks awesome, but it is the taste that will keep them wanting more! This recipe is sure to please every member of the house!
12 oz (3 cups) uncooked elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup milk
4 ounces of Velveeta or other creamy cheese spread, cut into cubes
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
4 slices of crisply cooked bacon or more as desired, crumbled
1 small green bell pepper, minced
1. Cook macaroni noodles according to box directions. drain
2. Melt butter in 3 qt saucepan over medium heat until sizzling. Stir in the, green pepper. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is lightly browned. Add the milk 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly 5-7 minutes. Add the cheese a handful at a time, stir until melted and sauce is smooth.
3. Add cooked macaroni, tomato, and 1/3 cup of crumbled bacon, stir until mixed. Garnish with additional crumbled bacon and serve.
Here is an even easier version using box macaroni and cheese, although it doesn't make as much.
box of mac and cheese
small green pepper, minced
small tomato, seeded and chopped
milk and butter as what is required for box instructions
4 slices of bacon or more as desired
1. Cook Macaroni according to box directions. Drain noodles. Do not add ingredients yet. Set noodles aside.
2. Cook bacon in pan till crisp. Remove bacon, and cut into bite size pieces. Drain, leaving about 2 tbsp grease. Cook green pepper in pan with grease. Drain grease. Add noodles, the cooked bacon, tomatoes, milk, butter, and powdered cheese sauce. Mix and serve.