All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.
Apple oatmeal drop scones with cinnamon chips
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- ½ cup Hershey’s cinnamon baking chips
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup heavy cream, plus additional if mixture is too dry
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or using fingertips, rub until course meal forms. Stir in cinnamon chips and apples. Gradually add cream mixture to dry ingredients, tossing with a fork until dough comes together in moist clumps. Add more cream in teaspoons if dough remains too dry. Drop dough by ¼ cups onto the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake scones until golden on the tops and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
Approximate yield: 10-12 drop scones
Click on the subscribe tab above to receive free notification each time Lisa posts an article.
Follow Lisa on Twitter @lpatrin
See more of Lisa's breakfast and dessert recipes on this Kare 11 Today dessert link