Pro mixed martial arts action returns to Middle Tennessee as Undisputed Combat Championships (UCC) holds the second round of their light heavyweight Grand Prix on Friday, Jan. 25, at the Hendersonville Expo Center in Nashville, Tenn.
Matt Brown, Ryan Walls, Teddy Holder, and Jesus Rivera are the 205-pound semi-finalists looking to advance for a shot at the $10,000 prize to be awarded later this Spring in the finals.
UCC President Angela Stout commented on the Brown vs. Walls headliner:
“We saw what Matt Brown was all about in his last fight. We think Ryan Walls is going to push him and it’s going to be another barnburner. Walls ha shown he has slick submissions and Brown has KO power. That makes for a great fight and I really don’t see this fight going to the judges."
Stout also shared her thoughts on the other semifinal round match-up, Holder vs. Rivera:
“Teddy Holder is the real deal. He has to be considered the favorite in the Grand Prix just based on his record. And when he knocked out Salmon in such impressive fashion I knew he was going to be a force in the UCC. I’m excited to see how he matches up with Jesus. Half of Jesus’ wins are by knockout so this one could be the fight of the night. The fans love knockouts and I think both of the fights in the Grand Prix are going to end that way.”
One heavyweight every diehard MMA fan in Tennessee knows, Johnahan Ivey, will be fighting on the undercard against a much less-experienced Mark George of Team Beeker.
Win or lose, it's always a show when Ivey is in the cage and Stout called George "one of the baddest heavyweights around," so it should be entertaining.
Here's the full line-up for UCC's January 25 event:
- 155lbs- Chad Perrine (1-3) (Knoxville MMA)vs. Kenny Thompson (1-0) (Brassell MMA Tennessee)
- 155lbs – Chad Snider (0-0) (Team Extreme Tennessee )vs. Mario Scott (1-0) (Brassell MMA Tennessee)
- 265lbs- Mark George (2-2) (Team Beeker) vs. Johnathan Ivey (33-49) (A Game MMA Tennessee)
- 205lbs- Teddy Holder (7-1) (Princer Atletics Tennessee) vs. Jesus Rivera (4-4) Sportd Center Tampa Florida)
- 205lbs- Josh Brown (0-0) (Brassell MMA Tennessee) vs. Jesse Grun (1-0)
- 170lbs- Ben Brewer (1-0) (Tennessee BJJ Academy) vs. Craig Johnson (2-0) (Fit Factory Tennessee)
- 205lbs- Ryan Walls (1-0) (peak submission Ohio) vs. Matt Brown (1-0) (Brassell MMA Tennessee)
For tickets or more info check out www.uccmma.tv.