There's nothing better than fresh summer tomatoes. You may be getting inundated with them now. Or, you may be buying the famous, sweet "Jet Star" variety that's sold in Washington Borough, PA, at The Tomato Barn along Route 999, near the eastern shore of the Susquehanna.
Here's a way to fix tomatoes that's a real crowd pleaser. It takes just a bit of preparation, and then a few minutes under the broiler. Yummmmola, people.
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 1/3 c up mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil, cilantro, or parsley
- Place the tomato slices on a cookie sheet. Place the oven rack in the highest position.
- Mix the mayonnaise, cheese, and finely chopped herb in a small bowl. Blend well.
- Spread the mayonnaise and cheese mixture over each slice of tomato.
- Broil until the cheese bubbles and the topping is slightly browned.