Safeway Corporation, (Pleasanton, CA) announced a voluntary recall of broccoli - both fresh and prepared - that was discovered to contain the harmful bacteria "listeria." A random test of the produce, sold to Safeway Corporation by Taylor Farms (Tracy, CA), detected trace amounts of the bacteria, which causes an infection which can sometimes be fatal to children and the elderly, and which has been shown to cause spontaneous miscarriage in pregnant women. For more information about listeria including how it affects food and the symproms of infection, click here.
A complete list of Safeway's recalled products can be found at this link, but include:
- Signature Café Veggie Pleaser Tray, UPC #21130-06198
- Signature Café Mediterranean Snacker Tray, UPC #21130-06196
- Deli Broccoli Salad, UPC #2-11629-00000
- Deli Signature Café Broccoli Bowl, UPC #2-14861-00000
- Deli Italian Pasta Salad, UPC #2-12431-00000
Affected products carry a "Use By" date between February 7, 2011 and March 7, 2011.
If you have any of these products, either throw them away or return them to the store for a full refund. Here's a link to Medford area location.