Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Brisbane get back on track

Brisbane Roar have put an end to their form slump as they managed a 3-1 win over a struggling Perth Glory at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

A-League 2013-14 Round 21: Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory-slide0
Photo by Matt Roberts/Getty Images
Brisbane Roar celebrate another goal
Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

It was typical Brisbane, as they held plenty of possession in the early stages but they were largely toothless as they struggled to create any real chances.

The best chance for Brisbane in the opening half came in the 22nd minute when Besart Berisha was fouled on the edge of the area, allowing Dimitri Petratos to shoot, but sent his effort over the bar.

Ivan Franjic and Petratos continued to be the dangerous players for Brisbane but it was Thomas Broich who provided the best chance of the match as his ball across the face just couldn’t find the touch it needed to score.

Despite all that work Brisbane really failed to trouble Danny Vukovic, and with that they failed to find a goal, keeping it scoreless in the first-half.

Three minutes in to the second half and it looked like the trend would be continuing as Vukovic made a good save to deny Matt McKay’s effort.

But in the 57th minute Brisbane finally broke through as Thomas Broich sent in a free-kick that Franjic ran on to at the far post and headed home to give the hosts the opener.

Brisbane nearly made it two moments later as Berisha and Petratos linked up well but Petratos couldn’t find a goal as he lifted his effort over the bar.

Brandon O’Neill did everything he could to gift Brisbane a second as he gave away possession, allowing Berisha and Liam Miller to run on to Vukovic, only for Miller to see his shot blocked but gratefully grab the rebound to tap home a second goal.

The match was sealed four minutes later when Broich hit a powerful curling strike from the edge of the area that left Vukovic with no chance.

In stoppage time a consolation goal came to Perth Glory when Matt Smith defended horribly, sending a ball across his own goal mouth, allowing Shane Smeltz to ghost in and easily slam the ball home.

But it was only a consolation as Brisbane easily held on for a deserved 3-1 win.

For all the latest Australian Football news please subscribe and follow the writer on twitter.

Report this ad