When I think of St. Patrick's Day, images of rainbows, leprechaun, and pots of gold come to mind. This holiday, like most, centers on food like corned beef and cabbage, shepherd's pie, pretzels, beer, and green colored sweets. Just because you follow a gluten-free diet doesn't mean you have to miss out on any of these goodies. Gluten-free beer, pretzels, and corned beef and cabbage are readily available, and our metro-Atlanta gluten-free bakeries have a nice selection of green sugary sweets from which to choose too.
These bakeries adhere to strict handling procedures, so there is no need to worry about cross contamination. Not all of the nine local gluten-free bakeries have holiday specific offerings, so the pickings are a little slim this holiday, but don't fret because the goodies below are top notch.
- 2B Whole Gluten Free European Bakery - is making small vanilla petit four cakes and cupcakes with festive frosting.
- Gluten Free Cutie - launched their St. Patrick's Day menu and it is loaded with gluten, dairy, and soy-free goodness. First up is their Beer and Pretzel Cupcake: chocolate cake infused with Green's dark ale with vanilla-beer frosting topped with pretzel sticks, next is shamrock shaped sugar cookies, and finally their new cupcake flavors for March: Papas Bananas Fosters, Cherry Cordial, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Irish Cream.
- Magnolia Manor Sweets - is offering organic gluten and dairy-free cupcakes.
- Mama Bakes Safe Cakes - has cupcakes with fluffy green vanilla frosting (dye free).
For those of you who are short on time, Trader Joe's is selling four-packs of gluten-free chocolate cupcakes topped with green peppermint icing. I have no clue who makes them, but I have had them before with no issues. The cupcakes are located on the bakery table at the front of the store.
It isn't too late to place an online order with these gluten-free bakeries/companies for cookies, Irish soda bread, and more.
- A and J Bakery offers Irish soda bread with/without caraway seeds along with cookies.
- Dempsey Bakery - has created green velvet, dairy-free cake that looks ridiculously yummy.
- The Piping Gourmets - I could really go for one of their chocolate mint whoopie pies right about now.
There are a plethora of gluten-free recipes on blogs for everything from green velvet pancakes (taking it too far for me), to rainbow cupcakes, to whoopie pies, to drinks, and more.
However you decide to celebrate St. Paddy's Day, keep it safe and gluten free.