Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Briefs: Woman fights off intruder: Man arrested after hours-long SWAT stand-off

See also

A woman was able to fight off an half-naked intruder who tried to force himself on her Wednesday morning in Roswell. Now police are searching for the man and they are asking for the public's help in identifying him.

The incident happened around 6 a.m. at a home on Old Ferry Way, according to Roswell police. The suspect entered the home through a back window and surprised the woman who was in her bedroom sleeping, police spokeswoman Officer Lisa Holland said.

The intruder, who only wore a pair of shorts, began to drag the woman out of her bed and tried to force himself on her, but she was able to fight him off, Holland said. The man then fled, she said.

The woman was not seriously injured, but she was transported to the hospital, Holland.

The intruder has been described as young black or Hispanic man, 19 to 20 years old with medium complexion and un-kept hair, police said. The man is 5 feet, 7 inches to 5 feet, 9 inches tall, Holland said. There was no indication that the man was armed.

Anyone with information about the intruder is asked to call Crime Stoppers Atlanta at (404) 577-8477.

Gunman in custody after hours-long SWAT stand-off

A man held police and SWAT officers at bay for several hours after his mom called 911 to report that her troubled son had threatened her with a Taser-type stun gun in Sandy Springs. The 30-year-old man was eventually arrested without incident Thursday morning.

The incident began around 10 p.m. Wednesday when officers and members of North Metro SWAT responded to a call of a gunman in the home at 1215 Old Woodbine Road, according to Sandy Springs police. Edward Quenzer’s mother told officers that her son had threatened her with a Taser-type stun gun after she called 911 to report his irrational behavior, police spokesman Sgt. Ron Momon said.

She told officers that Quenzer has been displaying symptoms of schizophrenia and paranoia, Momon said. Quenzer is said to have at least one or more weapons in the home, the spokesman said.

Officers evacuated the surrounding homes on Old Woodbine Road and negotiators began speaking to Quenzer, Momon said. It's unclear when and how the mom was able to escape the home.

Shortly before 5 a.m. Thursday, North Metro SWAT officers entered the home and took Quenzer into custody without further incident, Momon said.

Quenzer was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital for a mental evaluation, he said.