Where are the breastfeeding moms and babies hanging out? All new moms, especially breastfeeding moms, need a support network. Check out the below resources in Chicago. Some are free, others are a modest cost:
1. LaLeche League International - support group sessions at two locations:
- o Old Town School of Folk Music, first tues of the month from 10 – 11 am; FREE
- o Smart Love Family Services; 3rd tues of each month from 7 – 8:15 PM; FREE
2. Be By Baby – Two options:
- Breastfeeding Mamas - two meetings per month: one on the 2nd Thursday of the month in the afternoon and one on the 4th Tuesday of the month in the morning. Intended for peer support. Professional lactation consultation is not available at these forums. Free.
- • Breastfeeding 911 drop in clinic – Mondays 12:00 – 2:00 PM; $55.00, Must pre-register; hands-on breastfeeding help from a certified breastfeeding consultant.
- Breastfeeding drop in clinic - two Wednesdays a month from 10 – 11:30 am. Hands-on breastfeeding help with the certified lactation consultants; $25.00 fee.
- Breastfeeding drop in clinic – every Wednesday 10:30 am – 12:00 PM; $25.00 fee.
- Breastfeeding support group meets the first tues of each month from 1-2 PM. This drop in group is facilitated by a board certified lactation consultant from Swedish Covenant Hospital. $10.00 fee.
6. Meet-up groups – Have you joined meet-up, online to look for new mom forums? Some of the ones we found are Mom in the city: Chicago Hip Mama Collective; Cheers.
And, if you are still pregnant, consider joining the ‘expectant moms’ Bump Club and Beyond event, this Thursday, 9/20 for dinner, amazing raffles, and tips on navigating the first week of breastfeeding by the Lactation Partners.