Malaysian Flight 370 ended in the Indian Ocean, announced Prime Minister Najib Razak Monday. It is believed that there are no survivors in this much speculated about flight that disappeared on Saturday, 8 March. There were 239 people aboard the jet.
“It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you … flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean,” said PM Razak.
“It is with deep sadness that Malaysia Airlines earlier this evening had to confirm to the families of those on board Flight MH370 that it must now be assumed the flight had been lost,” said the Airlines in a media statement today.It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, flight MH370 ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
Three Americans were among those listed on the passenger list. One was 51 year old Philip Wood. The other two were children: four year old Nicole Meng and two year old Yan Zhang.
Countries around the world lent manpower and support in the search for this missing plane, likened by some to the infamous flight of Amelia Earhart. Debris has surfaced in the Southern Indian Ocean area but no wreckage has been found yet.
Despite it being over two weeks, many families still held out hope and were simply devastated when they were informed - in person, by phone and some by text message, -that the Malaysia Airlines is announcing the flight was lost and there were no survivors.
What happened is still unclear. Theories of hijacking, sabotage, and terrorism are still being investigated.
Upcoming Events & Information Request
Do you have an upcoming event or information that would interest the Lancaster community? If so, please email Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to get free, instant updates on the Buzz around Lancaster City on Examiner.com. If you would like to write on issues affecting your community, please go to http://exm.nr/14vMiFb.