As a citizenry we really deserve and should demand better from our elected officials. An example of clear cut waste, fraud and abuse by our elected officials is the 1994 Assault Weapons ban. The mere "Term" Assault Weapon is a Fallacy at best. Let's face it any thing used to harm, maim or murder someone is an assault weapon in reality. My pen could be used as an assault weapon. ANY WEAPON used to commit a crime is an ASAULT Weapon so once again our Politicians have failed us and the demagoguery never ceases!
Upon completion of reading this article you too will see first hand the fallacy, lunacy and idiocy of the original 1994 assault weapons ban and just how clueless the authors were and how deep their lack of knowledge and understanding about firearms. When you see first hand some of the idiocy that was written into this law and when things are put into perspective clearly & simply there will be NO OTHER conclusion that the legislators who wrote this bill had no intention nor idea their ban would do anything to reduce crime. Essentially it was another "Infringement" on law abiding citizens right to keep and bear arms.
First off before we get into the meat, the 2nd Amendment is NOT about hunting or any politician telling you what type of gun or magazine you can or can not own to go hunting. The 2nd Amendment is not about Sporting or Hunting....it's a firewall against Tyranny!
You have to wonder if Sen. Diane Feinstein (D) CA, Mayor Bloomberg and the other Anti-gun politicians have ever seen the below quotes. Or maybe they have and choose to think that the Founding Fathers were not as smart as they are as it relates to the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Bill of Rights! Not Bill of Privledges or Suggestions....Bill of Rights!
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves ... and include all men capable of bearing arms." -- Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788, on "militia" in the 2nd Amendment
1994 Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
- Folding or telescoping stock
- Pistol grip
- Bayonet mount
- Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
- Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).
On the above listed items let's take a closer look. Honestly ask your self one question? For example does a pistol grip in your opinion make a gun any more deadly or likely to be used in a crime? How about a folding or telescoping stock? My favorite... the bayonet lug! Are you kidding me? The bayonet lug is going to take precedence and make a rifle that much more deadly than it already is than if you get shot? Most rifles that have a bayonet lug are military relics except for AR-15's which have them because the M-16 military variant has them. How many thugs and criminals have you heard of or seen using a bayonet on their assault rifle to commit a crime...seriously?? A flash suppressor is designed to reduce the flash so how is that going to hurt more people or cause someone anymore harm than being shot? Maybe of the above listed items the Grenade launcher but again seriously.... how many crimes have you heard of or seen where a Grenade launcher was used?? Even if you bought or owned such a weapon good luck finding ammunition for it!
1994 Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
- Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
- Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
- Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
- Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
- A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
Seriously a Barrel shroud? A barrel shroud? Are you kidding me a barrel shroud?? When Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D) NY 4th District was asked by Tucker Carlson one of the proposing similar legislation was absolutely clueless. This is absolutely despicable that this lady who was involved in writing and proposing this "Infringement" legislation was clueless!! She had absolutely no idea what a barrel shroud is and admitted so on National TV!
If you want a good laugh watch her make a fool of herself HERE. Come on folks and fellow citizens we really deserve better than this!! Are you kidding me??
- The Act created a flowchart for classifying 'assault weapons' and subjected firearms that met that classification to regulation. Nineteen models of firearms were defined by name as being 'assault weapons' regardless of how many features they had. Various semi-automatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns were classified as 'assault weapons' due to having various combinations of features.
- The Act addressed only semi-automatic firearms, that is, firearms that fire one shot each time the trigger is pulled. Neither the AWB nor its expiration changed the legal status of fully automatic firearms, which fire more than one round with a single trigger-pull; these have been regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986.
- The Act also defined and banned 'large capacity ammunition feeding devices', which generally applied to magazines or other ammunition feeding devices with capacities of greater than a certain number of rounds, and that up to the time of the Act were considered normal or factory magazines. Media and popular culture referred to these as 'high capacity magazines or feeding devices'. Depending on the locality and type of firearm, the cutoff between a 'normal' capacity and 'high' capacity magazine was 3, 7, 10, 12, 15, or 20 rounds. The now defunct federal ban set the limit at 10 rounds. See more HERE.
Ultimately despite the fact that the majority of all the pronouncements in the ban were clearly "Cosmetic" essentially if the gun looked mean and bad then it was mean and bad and apparently more apt to be used in the commission of a crime! But lets evaluate this ridiculous law on the merits as to why it was originally argued and passed; that it would reduce crime and prevent mass shootings and other heinous crimes.
Did it accomplish what is was passed to do besides restricting law abiding citizens the right to keep and bear arms?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied the "assault weapon" ban and other gun control attempts, and found "insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence," noting "that insufficient evidence to determine effectiveness should not be interpreted as evidence of ineffectiveness." A 2004 critical review of research on firearms by a National Research Council panel also noted that academic studies of the assault weapon ban "did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence" and noted "due to the fact that the relative rarity with which the banned guns were used in crime before the ban ... the maximum potential effect of the ban on gun violence outcomes would be very small...." See more HERE.
The 2A proponents have sarcastically started calling their black guns and rifles "EVIL" or EBR's. After all if the guns look EVIL then they clearly are and will kill lots of people because they look so EVIL!
Now once again Dianne Feinstein is attempting to re-introduce another useless assault weapons ban & failed policy that once again won't do anything to reduce crime, violence or shootings. When a bad person wants to commit a crime it's doubtful that Diane Feinstein's or any politician's ridiculous proposals or law will prevent that event from occurring. But regardless they will continue to try to legislate and infringe with no impunity on law abiding citizens rights to prevent a small minority of bad folks who would commit and perpetuate these crimes. That seems to be backwards, focus on the crimes and who commits them...they have it backwards!
Same old song & dance with little or no results and no accountability.
As American's we all deserve so much better!! The same politicians who have taken our country to the brink with $16 Trillion of debt and unfunded liabilities want to fix crime and violence in our society?
When will we learn?
2nd AmendmentRight.org WELCOME to All Supporters of the 2nd Amendment, Shooting and Firearms Enthusiasts!