The break up song.
Everyone has at least one, if not an entire album - whether it be a personal mix or an artist that resonates with you during that particularly difficult time. Of course, not all break ups are the same and thus, not all break ups require the same kind of break up music.
Some break ups are a huge relief and require music like Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone." Other break ups involve a lot of anger which would better fit songs such as Emilie Autumn's "I Want My Innocence Back" or Godsmack's "I F*cking Hate You." Then there are the it-was-bound-to-happen type of break up for which No Doubt's "Ex-Girlfriend" is a perfect match. Madonna's "The Power of Goodbye" and Papa Roach's "Forever" are better accompaniments for the sadder emotions. Sometimes, you cause the break up and you know it so you listen to things like Fiona Apple's "Criminal" or even P!nk's "Please Don't Leave Me." And, of course, we can't forget about our more bitter moments which call for songs such as Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" and Limp Bizkit's "Boiler." Truth be told, that list doesn't even begin to scratch the surface when it comes to the ways a relationship can end...expecially when you consider the fact that people often go through a mixture of any and all of the above emotions.
I decided to ask some locals what their break up songs were:
- Jennifer Toribio chose Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" and No Doubt's "Don't Speak." Jennifer also said that "Pretty much any Kelly Clarkson song will do."
- Eric Williams thought he might be showing his age by selecting Jake Geils Band's "Love Stinks."
- Cyn Cornett listed The Pussycat Doll's "I Hate This Part," Sheryl Crow's "Favorite Mistake," and Sara Bareilles' "Gravity."
- Steve Martin claimed "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers as his own.
- Rachel Heimerdinger stated hers would probably be Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself for Loving You."
- Terry Williams believed that "Kiss Off" by the Violent Femmes wins "hands down."
- Crystal Harper was the most prolific commentator giving me a list which included:
In my next article, I'll share my top 3 favorite break-up songs along with the track list from my last break up CD. In the mean time, why don't you share your own break up songs in the comments or email me at LexingtonRelationshipsExaminer@gmail.com.