Bread pudding is a hearty and rich dessert, which can, on occasion, also be enjoyed as a special breakfast. There are many variations of this delicious dessert but this one, in particular, is a enriched with the addition of fresh bananas. Do not throw away those over-ripe bananas that are sitting on the kitchen counter; try this recipe for a real treat.
Bread Pudding with Bananas
- Canola oil cooking spray, similar to PAM
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs plus 4 egg yolks
- 3 very ripe bananas (about 1 1/4 cups), peeled and mashed well
- 6 cups 1" bread cubes, lightly packed; use a hearty country loaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl, whisk together half-and-half, 3/4 cup honey, cinnamon, salt, eggs and yolks and bananas until well mixed.
- Stir in bread and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Transfer bread mixture into lightly greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Bake in 350° oven until firm in the middle and golden brown on the edges, about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool for about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, whisk heavy cream and remaining 3 tablespoons honey until soft peaks form.
- Serve bread pudding with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top.