The devastating nightclub fire took place last night in southern Brazil and Brazilian Police Maj. Cleberson Braida has told press that the bodies have been taken to a gymnasium.
The exact location of the gymnasium has not been given, but it is situated in the town of Santa Maria.
This horrific disaster is being touted as one of the deadliest nightclub fires in over 10 years.
San Francisco resident, Janice Moran, says: "This is just awful. We probably won't know exactly what happened that night in the nightclub in Brazil, but my heart just breaks for everyone who was there and for their families. The pain they must be going through right now must be indescribable. It seems to me no kind of firework should ever be set off in an enclosed space."
Most people died as the result of stampeding to get out of the burning building.
It appears that the fire started when a band member set off some kind of a firework, although full details are not yet clear.
This is a breaking news story and more will follow.
Source: KTVU Channel 2 News
Follow Sheila on Twitter (@Sheilamba)
Subscribe to Sheila's articles for updates in your inbox as they are written. Your email will never be shared.
Be sure to check out Sheila's other column, on travel
See yesterday's new story on the 2013 Superbowl here: Information on the 2013 Superbowl: when can San Francisco see it? (Video)
See the following story on another disaster: Mutated butterflies, thanks to Japan nuclear disaster (Photos)
See this story on bodies found near San Francisco's City College: Bodies found in home near SF's City College (Photos)
See story on a Sandy Hook survivor hearing whimpering from the gymnasium: Photos: Sandy Hook survivor heard whimpering over intercom (Video)