A brain-eating parasite has taken the life of a 12-year-old Florida boy, who has been battling the disease in the hospital. Zachary Reyna was stricken with a brain-eating parasite after knee boarding in a water-filled ditch near his home back on Aug. 3, according to CNN News on Aug. 25.
The family has been updating the boy's condition with posts on their Facebook page and a post today indicates that the Florida child died Saturday afternoon. The post was sad, simple and right to the point:
"The battle is over for Zac but he won the war."
It was about an hour later that a new message indicated that Zachary was being kept alive with a ventilator so his organs could be donated. The post also said that family and friends can visit him at Miami Children's Hospital during visiting hours on Sunday. The new post also said:
"Even though Zac has passed, he will still be saving many lives."
An experimental drug that was given to doctors to use on Zachary came right from the CDC. The drug was also given to a 12-year-old Arkansas girl with the same brain-eating parasite and she recovered. Kali Hardig became the third person in the last 50 years to survive the deadly parasite.
The brain-eating parasite is found in warm shallow water and it enters the body through the nose. You can drink the same water and it won't get you sick with this disease, it only enters through the nose. The parasite travels to the brain and destroys it. The Arkansas girl who just survived this disease contracted the brain-eating parasite at a water park that was built around a sandy bottom shallow lake.