The CNN News reported on August 25, 2013, that a Florida based 12-year-old boy named Zachary Reyna died being stricken with a brain-eating parasite. The news of his death came through the Facebook updates of his family and friends.
Quoting the post on Saturday afternoon, the CNN News mentioned, “The battle is over for Zac but he won the war.” After an hour a message conveying the use of ventilator on Zac so that his organs are kept safe for donation was posted on Facebook. The post also said, “Even though Zac has passed, he will still be saving many lives.”
Naegleria fowleri is the name of the rare amoeba that is taking its toll on a number of people residing in Southeast of America. According to the family, their son might have contracted the infection while knee-boarding in a ditch full of water, located in proximity of his house.
Zachary was given treatment with experimental drugs in an attempt to battle its consequences. Just after he was hospitalized, he underwent emergency brain surgery. Doctors at the hospital diagnosed him with a medical condition named as amoebic meningeoencephalitis.
The Florida Department of Health (FDH) warned swimmers to avoid areas of high water temperatures with low water levels as these are the best conditions for breeding of the amoeba.