Skip to main content

See also:

Brain-eating bacteria found in water supply

Brain-eating infection
Brain-eating infection
www.jcardinals.blogspot.com

Brain-eating amoeba bacteria has been found in Louisiana water supply according to ABC News report. Amoeba is a single-cell organism that, although found in Australia, is believed to have originated in the US. According to WebMd, amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, bacteria, eats bacteria – it is parasitic. Once entered into the human body, it incidentally “uses the brain as a food source entering through the nose and can mimic meningitis. Because the nose is a “pathway of the amoeba, the infection occurs most often from diving, water skiing, or performing water sports in which water is forced into the nose. But infections have occurred in people who dunked their heads in hot springs or who cleaned their nostrils with neti pots filled with untreated tap water.” www.webmd.com The infection is non-contagious. The amoeba survives in warm water, ponds, mud puddles, aquariums and untreated water supply. It cannot survive in salt water. ABC News reports that amoeba parasite has been found in water in a Louisiana parish. At least 13,000 people will be subject to bacteria through the water supply. Five deaths have been confirmed to be from the amoeba infection since 2011. Symptoms of the amoeba infection act like tapeworms in humans, the bacteria also affect the eyes resembling conjunctiva, as well as symptoms of intestinal parasites. “There have been cases where acanthamoeba has caused the disease granulomatous amebic encephalitis, where the brain and spinal become severely inflamed. In this case, the amoeba infection symptoms are vomiting, exhaustion, headaches, difficulty concentrating, seizures, lack of coordination and reduced motor function, imbalance, delirium and stiff neck.” If left untreated, it can be fatal. http://www.10humanparasites.info/amoeba_parasite_infection_symptoms.htm The prognosis for the amoeba infection if left untreated is 99% fatal. Though the disease is potentially fatal treatment may prolong life expectancy Be careful and be aware of the potential of infection of the amoeba parasite. Though the condition is not common it is possible and if infected can be deadly.