We told you about the 4-year-old boy who died from a brain-eating amoeba in Louisiana after using a back yard water slide. Later tests of St. Bernard Parish water supply confirmed the presence of the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, which might be a result from Hurricane Katrina.
Naegleria fowleri is usually found in warm fresh water and becomes deadly when it enters a person's nose and travels to the brain.
Extensive testing is being done to find out how it go into a public water supply. Experts say Hurricane Katrina, which hit the state in August 2005, may be to blame.
The reduced population in St. Bernard Parish after the hurricane left most of the water stagnant, which allows the amoeba to grow.
Jake Causey, chief engineer for the state's health and hospitals tells CNN , "One of the concerns is that it was such a drastic population drop after Katrina and the water aged ... just by sitting in the pipes and also a drop in lower demand."
If the water is not used the chlorine dissipates while organisms thrive. Causey says, they are increasing the chlorine level in the system.
The CDC says, Naegleria fowleri associated with public drinking water has caused deaths in one other case in the United States. Water from an untreated drinking water system in Arizona killed two children in 2003.
An experimental drug has shown promise in fighting the amoeba, when 12-year-old Kali Hardig, in Arkansas, survived after contracting the amoeba in July.