Mike Sherman Pest Control -- a Bradenton team consisting of Ron Smith, Clyde McCleary, Mike Sherman and Manuel Garcia -- emerged with the four-player championship in the 45th annual Florida State Senior Handicap Championship Tournament in Spring Hill, which concluded a five-weekend run Sunday (Feb. 2).
According to final, unofficial tournament standings, the victorious team posted a three-game handicap score of 2,857. Another team representing the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Association, Southern Edge Pro Shop II of Venice -- consisting of Mike Hudson, Norma Fathauer, Valerie Shinn and Daryl Shinn -- finished eighth with a score of 2,749.
Outside of team competition, Hudson joined Bruce Combs of Bradenton with third-place finishes, representing the best individual leaderboard performances among Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County entrants.
Hudson claimed the No. 3 position in the 60-64 age category in singles with a score of 762, in addition to tying for the No. 11 spot in 60-64 handicap all-events with 1,441. Combs' third-place finish came in 60-64 all-events with 1,486, and he also earned 15th place in 50-64 singles with 736.
Two other area players, Rick Wight of Sarasota and Al Lange of Port Charlotte, claimed fifth-place finishes. Wight's No. 5 came in 55-59 handicap all-events with 1,493, and he also tied for tenth in 55-59 singles with 743. Bowling in the 70-over age group, Lange was fifth in all-events (1,447) and 13th in singles (722).
Ron Smith was the only area entrant to place prominently in four events. In addition to the team championship, he was 12th in 65-69 all-events (1,441), tied for 14th in doubles (with McCleary at 1,437) and 16th in 65-69 singles (734).
Bill Bickley of Sarasota was in the top 20 in three events: eighth in nine-game handicap all-events (2,233), 13th in 65-69 singles (744) and 20th in 65-69 all-events (1,413).
Other area players among the top 10 in respective events are: Suzy Jennings of Osprey (tied for sixth in 50-54 singles, 744); Kevin Reichenbach of Sarasota (eighth in 50-54 all-events, 1,426); and Sandy Combs of Bradenton (ninth in 50-54 all-events, 1,415).
The following summary includes final, unofficial leaders in each event, plus the names of all Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte entrants in the Top 10, or the highest such finisher if not in the Top 10:
- TEAM EVENT: 1, Mike Sherman Pest Control (Bradenton) 2,857; 8, Southern Edge Pro Shop 11 (Venice) 2,749.
- DOUBLES: 1, Dudley Holmes and Gilbert Hess (Jacksonville) 1,489; tie 14th, Clyde McCleary and Ron Smith (Bradenton) 1,437.
- SINGLES 70-PLUS: 1, Jackie Keele (Tallahassee) 793; 13, Al Lange (Port Charlotte) 722.
- SINGLES 65-69: 1, Manny Gonzalez (Miami) 806; 13, Bill Bickley (Sarasota) 744.
- SINGLES 60-64: 1, Mike Lowry (Zellwood) 792; 3, Mike Hudson (Sarasota) 762.
- SINGLES 55-59: 1, Pam Moore (North Fort Myers) 798; tie 10, Richard Wight (Sarasota) 743.
- SINGLES 50-54: 1, Karen Brown (Tallahassee) 830; tie 6, Suzy Jennings (Osprey) 744.
- ALL-EVENTS 70-PLUS: 1, John Atwood (Jacksonville) 1,485; 8, Mike Romig (Osprey) 1,388.
- ALL-EVENTS 65-69: 1, John Atwood (Jacksonville) 1,485; 5, Al Lange (Port Charlotte) 1,447.
- ALL-EVENTS 60-64: 1, Mike Lowry (Zellwood) 1,560; 3, Bruce Combs (Bradenton) 1,486.
- ALL-EVENTS 55-59: 1, Custer Redman (The Villages) 1,523; 5, Richard Wight (Sarasota) 1.493.
- ALL-EVENTS 50-54: 1, Karen Brown (Tallahassee) 1,561; 8, Kevin Reichenbach (Sarasota) 1,426; 9, Sandy Combs (Bradenton) 1,415.
- 9-GAME ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, James Emanuelson (Tallahassee) 2,231, 25, Gil Sliker (Sarasota) 2,026.
- 9-GAME ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Tom Cook (Zellwood) 2,302; 8, Bill Bickley (Sarasota) 2,233.
For a link to complete, up-to-date tournament standings, click here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling columns -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published].