Thomas Slusser of Bradenton tops the leaderboard in handicap all-events as the Florida State Bowling Association's 80th annual championship tournament enters its fifth weekend of competition Saturday (May 24) at the 80-lane Boardwalk Entertainment Center in Orlando.
Slusser sets the all-events pace with a nine-game handicap pinfall of 2,363, which is 14 pins better than the runner-up total of 2,349 posted by Lauren Bland of Orlando. The Bradenton bowler also is fifth in two other events: handicap singles with 818, and handicap doubles (with partner Stephen Gergle) at 1,523.
According to current, unofficial standings, Bobby Walters Jr. of Broward County has the score to beat in scratch all-events with 2,154 -- a 239.3 average.
The fourth weekend (May 17-18) resulted in two changes in the No. 1 positions. Israel Velasco and Carlos Hernandez of Miami moved on top in scratch doubles with a score of 1,368, while Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 of Miami now leads the scratch team event with 3,410.
Other leaders holding firm are: Jason Roules of Orlando (845 in handicap singles); Tyson Kurth of Ocala (762 in scratch singles); Robert Platz and Jon Blum of Crystal River (1,669 in handicap doubles); and Once Rivals Now Teammates of Tallahassee (3,778 in handicap team).
In addition to Slusser, three other individuals representing the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Association were listed in the Top 20. Ronnie Hayes of Bradenton rolled a 299 game last Sunday, and he is sixth in scratch singles (730) and 22nd in handicap singles (786). Curtis Miccichi of Bradenton is 15th in handicap singles (798), and Preston Willis of Bradenton is tied for 14th in handicap all-events (2,224).
Two Sarasota-Manatee teams hold down Top 10 spots in the handicap five-player event: Fletcher's Bunch, fifth at 3,523, and Four Aces, ninth at 3,494.
Nick Abbatiello of Jacksonville and Evan Relich of Palm Beach blasted perfect games last weekend, bringing the total of 300 games to seven. Previous perfectos were rolled by Blum, Platz, Walters, Miccichi and Chris Schneider of Orlando.
The top three in each category are listed below, and for a more-extensive list of current standings, click here.
- TEAM EVENT HANDICAP: 1, Once Rivals, Now Teammates (Tallahassee) 3,778; 2, James Team (Space Coast) 3,648; 3, Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 (Miami) 3,607.
- TEAM EVENT SCRATCH: 1, Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 (Miami) 3,410; 2, Mike's Pro Shop No. 2 (Miami) 3,178; 3, Jumpin Jesus They're Back (Tampa) 3,132.
- DOUBLES HANDICAP: 1, Robert Platz and Jon Blum (Citrus County) 1,669; 2, Lauren Bland and Mike Mojzak (Orlando) 1,602; 3, Mark Goode and Tom Zachary (Greater Citrus) 1,554.
- DOUBLES SCRATCH: 1, Israel Velasco and Carlos Hernandez (Miami) 1,368); 2, James Tomblin and Jason Booke (Broward County) 1,332; 3, Dan Podgorski and Duane Podgorski (Orlando) 1,316.
- SINGLES HANDICAP: 1, Jason Roules (Orlando) 845; 2, Dallas Smith Sr. (Jacksonville) 832; 3, Jon Blum (Citrus County) 820.
- SINGLES SCRATCH: 1, Tyson Kurth (Ocala) 762; 2, Kendra Gaines (Orlando) 753; 3, Daniel Shirley (St. Petersburg) 745.
- ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Tom Slusser (Bradenton) 2,363; 2, Lauren Bland (Orlando) 2,349; 3, Jennifer Pumphrey (Marianna) 2,274.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, Bobby Walters Jr. (Broward County) 2,154; 2, Jason Kirk (Orlando) 2,067; 3, Mike Hamilton (Miami) 2,058.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]