“We respect the doctors protocol but we continue with our faith and believe God will step in on his time irregardless of what has been said,” Zachary’s family wrote Sunday on the page.“We ask that you continue to pray and believe along with us.”
He reportedly contracted the parasite, known as Naegleria fowleri, while kneeboarding in a ditch near his home on Aug. 3. Zachary was taken to the hospital and later diagnosed with primary amoebic meningoencephalitis.
The Florida Dept. of Health has since cautioned people to avoid swimming in high temperature waters with low levels, as the parasite is found in warm freshwater.
ABC reported that the parasite is usually harmless, but can cause fatal brain damage if inhaled through the nose.
"This infection is one of the most severe infections that we know of," Dr. Dirk Haselow of the Arkansas Department of Health said. "Ninety-nine percent of people who get it die."
Symptoms may emerge up to a week after infection and include headache, fever, nausea and a stiff neck.
"Later symptoms include confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations," the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced on its website. "After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within one to 12 days."