The Bourbon Street shooting during New Orleans’ Mardi Gras on Saturday night left four people wounded and people screaming and running in panic. The shooting which occurred on the French Quarter's famous Bourbon Street wounded two men and two women around 9:30 p.m. reported ABC News on Feb. 10, 2013.
According to New Orleans police spokesman Frank B. Robertson, one man was in critical condition while the other man and the two women were in stable condition. The names and the ages of the Bourbon Street shooting victims have not been released so far.
At the time of the Bourbon Street shooting, the New Orleans Mardi Gras was in full swing with partygoers celebrating in the streets and in the adjacent buildings. Bourbon Street is home to strip clubs, bars, and second-floor balconies as often depicted in famous Bourbon Street pictures.
During New Orleans Mardi Gras, as in any city that celebrates one of the craziest times of the year, Bourbon Street is so filled with people that it is almost impossible for officers on horseback to control the crowd.
When the shots were fired on Bourbon Street, party goers started running through the crowds or hid behind bars.
While a suspect or a motive in the Bourbon Street shooting have not been determined so far, the police is hoping that a surveillance video camera will provide more specific information.
"’We don't know what happened but they shut down the entire block for an hour,’ Peter Manabani, an employee at the Rat's Hole bar, told AP as loud music thumped in the background. He said the block reopened shortly before midnight and his establishment was again thronged entering the early hours.”