Skip to main content

See also:

Boston Marathon: Boylston Street shut down after unattended backpacks found

An unattended backpack on Boylston Street
An unattended backpack on Boylston Street
WBZ / Twitter

After the Boston Marathon remembrance ceremony in Boston on April 15, police were forced to clear Boylston Street and place nearby businesses in lockdown. According to, police found not one but two unattended backpacks. At this point in time, the scene in the area is very tense and people are being cautioned to stay away -- those in doors should avoid windows.

There were reports (and videos) of a man wearing a black veil and running barefoot into the street, screaming "Boston Strong" amongst other things. According to witnesses, this man dropped a backpack on the ground and ran away. It is unknown if police have been able to locate him or if they have any suspects in custody.

Boylston Street was the scene of the Boston bombings one year ago today. While hundreds of people gathered to remember the victims and the survivors, this day of remembrance has turned tense. There are still gatherings in Boston right now but the Marathon finish line area has been cleared and there is a heavy police presence all over town.

According to My Fox Boston, the bomb squad is on the scene. The backpacks are currently being investigated as police continue to keep the area clear. The situation has been ongoing for over an hour now and no further details have been revealed. Police will likely give an update once they figure out whether or not those backpacks posed an immediate threat of any kind.

Next Monday, Boylston Street will be filled with spectators and runners who will all have last year's tragic events in the back of their minds. While the Boston Marathon might never be the same, the city is stronger and the people are resilient. Unfortunately there are foolish people who do stupid, unnecessary things, but hopefully today will end with peace and next week's marathon will be a success.