On and around last Christmas, the Gatecrash spoilers came earlier than expected as five "presents" were posted on magicthegathering.com that contained an example card for each of the five new guild keywords. Of course, this year, Born of the Gods previews are slated to begin in January, and there's no reason to think the Gatecrash thing was anything more than a special one-off - an unusual case where there were in fact five new mechanics to preview. We shouldn't expect Christmas spoilers this year - or should we?
In a recent magicthegathering.com Arcana article, Trick Jarrett posted the mothership article schedule for the rest of 2013, as new content ceases until January:
- This week (December 9–13): It's the last week of new content from our normal stable of writers for 2013.
- Next week (December 16–20): Magic Online Week. Like last year, we take a week to look at Magic Online with guest writers from R&D and the Magic Online team.
- December 23–27: Happy holidays! It's the first week of reruns for 2013.
- December 30–January 3: Happy new year! Our second week of reruns for 2013.
- January 6: We're back! Welcome to 2014!
Now, just because I've given you this outline doesn't mean we don't have a few surprises still waiting for you.
That last qualifier - "surprises" - indicates something new that isn't in the form of articles; thus far, the best guess for this is isolated spoiler cards. Born of the Gods notably does have five of something new: The minor gods. It's of course doubtful we'll see the deities themselves, but perhaps a card for each of them representing one of their followers or powers.