With all the publicity about "miracle" weight loss supplements such as green coffee bean extract and garcinia cambogia, there's an inexpensive option that Harvard researchers say can boost your weight loss by 37 percent: Flax seeds.
These tiny but mighty seeds contain polyunsaturated fats and fiber, which keep you full longer and reduce cravings. Researchers used ground flax seeds in their study rather than flax seed oil.
How to use and where to get:
- Some cereals contain flax seed, such as Uncle Sam Toasted Whole Wheat Berry Flakes & Flaxseed Original Cereal (click for details).
- Try mixing flax seed into your morning oatmeal. Choose a ground variety, such as Flax USA 100% Natural Organic Flax Cold Milled Ground Golden Flax Seed (click for details).
- For a tasty dessert, layer non-fat vanilla yogurt with Enjoy Life, Perky's Crunchy Flax Cereal (click for details).
- Stay away from the vending machine by keeping flax seed bars on hand, such as Nature's Path Organic Granola Bars, Pumpkin-n-Spice, Flax Plus (click for details).
Chia seeds can hold up to 20 times their weight. Add to oatmeal or put in a bowl with unsweetened chocolate almond milk to change to a consistency like rice pudding (yum!).
Your options for chia seeds include:
- HealthWorks Chia Seeds (click for details)
- Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Chia Seeds (click for details)