This workshop will take place between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on March 16th and will cover the following topics:
- Submitting to magazines, anthologies, and small presses
- Meticulous manuscript format
- Crafting the best cover letter
- Following guidelines (and why failing to do so really does mean rejection)
- Corresponding with editors (and how this can affect your career down the road)
- Finding markets for your work using online databases
- Seeking out lesser-known opportunities and matching your work to the right market
- Deciphering submissions language and interpreting sale of rights
- Tracking submissions
- Advice and coping mechanisms for dealing with rejection
The event cost is $25 and includes a light breakfast, lunch, and take-aways. Registration is required and can be done by calling Books & Boos at (860) 861-6214 or by emailing co-owner Stacey Longo Harris at email@example.com. A name and phone number must be provided, and registration should be completed by Saturday, March 15th.
Kristi Petersen Schoonover is a Pushcart-nominated author and co-editor of Read Short Fiction. Her short fiction has been included in The Adirondack Review, Barbaric Yawp, The Illuminata, Carpe Articulum Literary Review, Afternoon, I Like Monkeys, New Witch Magazine, MudRock: Stories & Tales, and a variety of other publications. Additionally, she has written the novel Bad Apple and a short story collection titled Skeletons in the Swimmin’ Hole: Tales from Haunted Disney World. She holds a BA in Creative Writing in Literature from Burlington College in Vermont and an MFA in Creative Writing from Goddard College. Ms. Petersen Schoonover makes her home in the woods of Connecticut.