Book spotlight (Young Adult): Unicorns of Balinor by Mary Stanton

Book 1 - The Road to Balinor
Book 1 - The Road to Balinor

There is another world beyond our own: Balinor, the world of magic. The Celestial Unicorns look down on Balinor and strive to protect it from the ever-growing threat of Entia, the Shifter... a dark and corrupt evil that is threatening to overrun Balinor and throw the world into chaos. In the world of Balinor, the animals and humans alike can speak, and it is a crime to kill a single one. This bond forged between the races stems from the bond of the Royal House of Balinor to the unicorn who is King of the Beasts - in this case, the bond between Princess Arianna and the Sunchaser.

The Road to Balinor by Mary Stanton
The Road to Balinor by Mary Stanton
photo from Amazon.com

But danger strikes. The Shifter attacks, kidnaps the King, Queen, and the Princes, and nearly catches the Princess as well. The Celestial Unicorns send Arianna and the Sunchaser beyond the Gap (the bridge between the world of Balinor and the world of Earth) in an attempt to save them... but the cost is terrible. The journey takes an immense toll on them both. Both of Arianna's legs are broken and her memory is fragmented, at best. Worse yet, the great Sunchaser has lost his horn, and with it, the ability to speak. Now he is barely more than a common horse, and the bond between the Princess and the Sunchaser is breaking down - and the animals in Balinor are losing the ability to speak.

The first book in the Unicorns of Balinor series, The Road to Balinor, begins the long and dangerous trek into the world of Balinor in an attempt to restore the Sunchaser to his former glory, rescue the royal family, and keep the world as they know it from falling into the Shifter's destructive hands.

Even with its simple and straightforward writing (which is well-done for young adult audiences) I still enjoy reading this series. And in case you were wondering, the unicorns are not all pink with sparkly hooves and bright smiles. The Celestial unicorns are a myriad of colors, and the unicorns in the employ of the Shifter are black with red, demonic eyes. This is not a happy-go-lucky story, but rather a well-written adventure story with a bit of magic thrown in.

So far, there are only eight books in this series, but hopefully more will come soon!

Check it out at Amazon.com! Also take a look at Mary Stanton's official website and look at her other series as well.

Trivia Question: What animal can Moloth change into?

Comments

• aslindy 4 years ago

This sounds like a great series. I love anything to do with horses and unicorns (as long as they are not too pink and sparkly). I'll be sure to check it out!

• hl_bc97 4 years ago

I was thinking that I would remember this book for my daughter when she gets a bit older. However, from your review, it sounds like something my son might like to read now. Thanks for the information. This book is not one I would have picked up on my own.

• Melody 4 years ago

Nice choice! I haven't thought about this series in years, though I used to use it to try and entice non-readers. I think I still own all of them.

• Dagda 4 years ago

This reminds me of a series I read as a child but for the life of me I can't think of the name. Sounds like a great way to get kids (and those of us who think we still are) to read. Thanks for the great review, maybe I should by it now for my future children. :)

Typed by my own two hands,
    Dagda

• Addie.Aynsley 4 years ago

I think my little sister would really get into this series. I'll have to see if they're at the library.

Great review!

• Kylandra 4 years ago

I remember reading these when I was younger and wishing that the series would be finished! I hope she does continue the series. I would love to see how things turn out. I really like the portrayal of the unicorns as speaking, thinking, characters. Most books portray them as magical objects rather than beings.

• Leann 4 years ago

I will have to take a look at this and see if interests either of my kids. Thanks

• ekaser 4 years ago

Another great series of young adult books: Megan Whalen Turner's "The Thief", "The Queen of Attolia" and "The King of Attolia". REALLY excellent, and read them in that order, as it's a continuing story.

• SarahLindesmith 4 years ago

aslindy: definitely not too pink and sparkly here. Rich variety of colors but no sparkles that I recall. :)
    hl_bc97: I think it would go over well with boys and girls, but I haven't met any boys who have read it and I have no brothers, so I can't really say for sure. :)
    Kylandra: so far, no word yet on finishing the series. Keep your fingers crossed!
    ekaser: I will have to check those out. I've heard of them but haven't read them. They're going on my list and hopefully will show up here someday... but the list grows and grows. :)

• LovelyLola 4 years ago

I love these books! I read them for the first time in about first grade, and I still enjoy reading them in college!