Book spotlight (Children's): Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein
Falling Up by Shel Silversteinphoto from Amazon.com

"I tripped on my shoelace / And I fell up-"

The wild journey begins on the first page of Silverstein's Falling Up, and doesn't let up until the very end. Along the way you meet a wide variety of characters - some cute, some downright bizarre, and all of them with a little story to tell, poetry style. Accompanying many of these poems are original drawings... in fact, some of them even are interlinked with the poem, giving a hidden meaning to the words or even completing the poem.

There is an index in the back of the book so that you can easily find the poem you're looking for. Lots of youngsters use Silverstein's poems for forensics competitions because they are easy to learn and fun to recite - and there are plenty of fun actions that can go with them, as well.

Of course, Silverstein manages to sneak a mix of humor and life lessons into his poetry. For example, consider this one, WOULDA-COULDA-SHOULDA:

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas   Layin' in the sun,   Talkin' 'bout the things   They woulda-coulda-shoulda done...   But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas   All ran away and hid   From one little did.

Or perhaps a personal favorite: RED FLOWERS FOR YOU

They could be poison ivy,   They might be poison oak,   But anyway, here's your bouquet!   Hey--can't you take a joke?

Zip over to the Midland Mall and Barnes & Noble to buy it today, or order it from Amazon.com. You can also check it out from Midland's Grace A. Dow Library.

If you read all of Falling Up and aren't satisfied, check out Silverstein's other poetry books, A Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends. Because, as Silverstein himself says in Falling Up, "The end of the book--    No use to look   For any more, my dear,   'Cause if you try finding   Some more in the binding,   You may just...disappear."

Trivia Question: How many eels does Allison Beals have?

Comments

• LovelyLola 4 years ago

I love Shel Silverstein! He is one of my favorite poets. I hope that everyone gets the chance to read his works.

• lollypop 4 years ago

I, too, love books that almost sing when they're read aloud.

• Kim 4 years ago

When I was little, I learned about poetry from Where the Sidewalk Ends, and I fully expected all poets to be as cool as Shel. I have to say, much of my required reading in school couldn't hold a candle, and I still appreciate all the quirks of Shel's work. No Robert Burns, ofcourse, but a master nonetheless.

• aslindy 4 years ago

These are great books! I have always loved them.
    I seem to recall one about "Nobody Loves Me" and also one about a sister...

• Addie.Aynsley 4 years ago

This children's book sounds absolutely precious. Wonderful review, thanks.

• Dagda 4 years ago

I can remember reading these books when I was little. I loved them and had, at one point, a lot of the poems memorized for a "show and tell" sort of thing at my elementary school. This article is very nostalgic, thanks for the review and the reminder!

Typed while waiting for tea to cool,
    Dagda

• Stephanie Speck 4 years ago

25 eels!

• Christina 4 years ago

I love this book, as well as other works by Shel Silverstein... such as "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "The Giving Tree"

• Kylandra 4 years ago

My Mom had all of Shel Silverstein's books and she read some of the poems to me. I proceeded to read the rest on my own and I just love all the crazy characters and stories in the poems. His poems are just so much fun!

• SarahLindesmith 4 years ago

aslindy: yep, Nobody Loves Me is a great one. I still remember most of it and I learned it way back in grade school.

Dagda: Tea? I'm shocked! What happened to the coffee? :)

Christina: I love The Giving Tree as well. Amazing story. Wasn't there a book called The Missing Piece, too? I seem to remember liking that one as well...

• quinnril 4 years ago

This is one of my favorite authors! I love almost all of his poems!