Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Education & Schools
  3. Public Schools

Bond denied for Therrell High School shooter

See also

Bond has been denied for the 17-year-old student accused of shooting four of his classmates and another person near D.M. Therrell High School in southwest Atlanta.

Wednesday a Fulton County Court judge denied bond for Marcellus Brooks who faces five counts of aggravated assault in the Tuesday after school shooting. While his face was shielded during his morning court appearance, Brooks will be tried as an adult.

Channel 2 Action News was among the news media obtaining the names and ages of the victims all who were all transported to Grady Memorial Hospital after the Tuesday shooting. They are: Domonic Clark, 17, Trevion Morgan, 18, Tekevious Redding, 17, Morgan Evans, 15, and Lamarcritus Wilson, 20. Atlanta Police said their injuries appeared to be non-life-threatening. But later Tuesday one of the victims’ condition was changed to critical and the other four victims were listed in stable condition.

While the shooting did not occur on school property, the school was still placed on lock down. Atlanta Public Schools officials say the five people were shot near Panther Trail and Childress Drive. Authorities are still investigating the shooting with no real motives and no gun has been located. But according to students and a parent interviewed by 11Alive News, the incident begin as a “fight that never really happened”, but instead escalated to a shooting.

Senior Trevion Morgan, one of the shooting victims released from the hospital, told CBS Atlanta News that he through he was going to die. The 18-year old was shot in the chest and the bullet went in and out of his chest grazing his arm. Morgan said, "Yeah I was going to watch the fight. That's what I thought. But than I heard gunshots and that's what happened. I'm glad I'm still here thought."

This is not the first time for the Atlanta teen to face serious charges involving a gun. According to Fulton County Superior Court records, Marcellus Brooks pleaded not guilty less than a week ago to a felony robbery charge in connection with a March 29th incident handled by MARTA Police. According to jail records he was released after 15 days on $8,000 bond and was set to go to trial on that case in August.

The 17 year-old returned to school only to find himself involved in another violent case. Brooks is scheduled to appear in court on May 28th for a preliminary hearing in this recent shooting.

In the meantime, Therrell High School officials have banded book bags for the remaining of the school year as students returned to classes Wednesday with a heighten police present, many questions and speculations as to what really caused the Tuesday afternoon shooting.