If you are looking to build explosive power, or get into great shape, look no further than bodyweight training. Bodyweight training is inexpensive, easy to learn, and a great alternative if you can't make it to the gym. Bodyweight exercises develop the whole body and are reccomended for all ages. Listed below are a few examples of bodyweight workouts.
There are a number of Crossfit workouts that use bodyweight only. Including:
As many rounds as possible in 20 min. of:
3) 50-40-30-20-10 reps of pullup & ring dips
The military is also a great source of bodyweight workouts including:
In military stations, create a rectangle the size of a basketball court. Six body weight exercises are spaced along the perimeter. Participants stay at each station for a set amount of time. Immediately following each station, participants perform a movement to get to the next station. After one circuit, rest 1-2 minutes and repeat. A sample workout looks like:
1) Exercise - pushups/ Movement - bear crawl
2) Exercise - crunches/ Movement- karaoke
3) Exercise - squats/ Movement - backwards run
4) Exercise - v-ups/ Movement - power skips
5) Exercise - jumping jacks/ Movement - walking lunges
6) Exercise - arm circles/ Movement - star jumps
When all aspects of our lives have been enriched with technology, it is nice to know that you can still get tremendous workouts with just your bodyweight and a little imagination.