She was known as Carol Kester from The Bob Newhart Show to Baby Boomers and Edna Krappel on The Simpson's to Generation Y. She bridged all generations as a popular game show panelist on hit game shows including Match Game, Pyramid, Password, Hollywood Squares and others. It was announced yesterday that Marcia died Friday surrounded by her family and friends.
It was as Carol Kester on the 1970s hit comedy Bob Newhart Show that Wallace became endeared to the generation that defined the television industry. Carol was the receptionist on the floor where Psychiatrist Bob Hartley, played by Newhart, and dentist Jerry Robinson, played by Peter Bonerz.
Carol had to deal with two seemingly dysfunctional bosses much like millions of administrative professionals of her day and in today’s business world. Carol normally remained calm and often showed that no matter what happened she was prepared to make her bosses look good and the customer experience one that promoted a positive business. She showed the important of accepting things as they were but also was prepared for the unexpected.
Wallace showed that it was appropriate to be a strong professional and leader in a position that was not the at the top of the organization chart and set Carol Kester as an image of what a successful administrator added to an organization.
Life after Newhart
As Lisa’s teacher on The Simpsons, airing weekly on Fox, she was able to move her career into animation and connected with younger generations. According to producers Saturday Wallace has pre-taped lines that will be used in future episodes. They had been made aware of Wallace’s condition so prepared for the future so they would not have to recast the part.
The Simpsons is seen Sunday nights at 9:00 on Fox 2 Detroit and repeats can be found on several cable networks carried on the Comcast Detroit and WOW Michigan cable systems.
- Employment Diversity In Michigan , a networking group on Linked In.
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons” by Rick Weaver- 53 anecdotal leadership lessons. Paperback, e-book, Kindle.
Top books for those in leadership