March 29, 2014
A delicious scone and a hot cup of tea...a great way to start tea party or just an afternoon snack on a rainy early spring afternoon. Making scones does not have to be intimidating.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add blueberries and set aside.
- Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut in butter until fine crumbs form.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk, egg white and vanilla.
- Gently stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until blended.
- Drop dough by 3 tablespoonfuls, 2"apart, onto a baking sheet that has been prepared with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle scone tops with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake in 400° oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool scones for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to completely cool.
Serves 4 to 6.