Blueberry muffins are the perfect complement to a Sunday or holiday brunch, and they make a brilliant breakfast all on their own. However, once these scrumptious blueberry muffins come out of the oven, you'll end up eating them all day long. This recipe makes 12 blueberry muffins.
2 cups blueberries, rinsed and carefully drained
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 stick butter
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Prepare muffin pan by inserting paper muffin liners into each muffin cup.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter in the microwave for about a minute, until it's thoroughly melted.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add the milk and vanilla.
5. Pour a tiny bit of the melted butter into the egg-vanilla-milk mixture and stir it in. Repeat 3-4 more times, adding a slightly larger amount of the liquid butter each time until it is all incorporated. Don't add hot melted butter to the egg mixture. The heat from the butter will cook the egg.
6. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix no more than ten seconds. The batter should be visibly lumpy. It's extremely important not to over mix the batter, or the resulting muffins will be too hard.
7. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the blueberries into the batter. Then carefully spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan using a small ladle and bake immediately.
8. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.