Blueberries as we all know are a great nutritional fruit to eat. Blueberries are loaded with antioxidants and a wonderful superfood to have as part of a healthy diet. There are so many ways that these little berries can be enjoyed and preparing a filling for cakes, cupcakes or even to spread over pancakes is a delightful way to fill your senses with one of nature’s greatest flavors.
Blueberry filling is so easy to prepare and can be ready in just minutes. You will wonder why you haven’t spread some on food and confections sooner. Children will just adore the indigo or light lavender colored filling.
The harvest season for blueberries is from late April until the end of July. They are cultivated in the United States from Florida, Georgia, Maine and North Carolina and New Jersey – specifically from the town of Hammonton which claims to be the “Blueberry Capital of the World”.
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of blueberry jam
- 8 counces of Mascarpone cheese
- In a mixing bowl add the whipped cream and whip it until soft peaks form.
- Once the peaks form slowly add in the sugar and jam and mix gently until combined.
- Fold in the Mascarpone cheese and whip until smooth.
- Spread over cake layers, fill cupcake centers or spread on pancakes.
- Filling can be made a day ahead of time just remember to keep refrigerated.
- Use this blueberry filling as a dip for sliced fruits such as apples.
- The filling also makes a great spread over waffles too.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved