When you're deciding on a dessert to serve at your Labor Day celebration, chances are you'll want to take full advantage of the fresh blueberries that are still in season and available at your local farmers' market or grocery store. This dessert is the perfect choice!
Actually a galette (a French term for a free-form crusty cake), this sweet treat combines a flaky pasty dough and sweet cream cheese with bursting blueberries that can be easily sliced and served with vanilla ice cream for an "a la mode" version, if you wish.
Give it a try! You're sure to get compliments all around.
BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE GALETTE
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
For the dough:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Pinch of kosher salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
1 large egg
For the filling:
2 cups blueberries
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch of kosher salt
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 large egg, beaten, plus 1 egg yolk
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Make the dough: Pulse the flour, granulated sugar, vinegar, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal with pea-size pieces of butter. Whisk the egg with 2 tablespoons water; add to the food processor and pulse until a dough just starts to form. Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap; shape into a disk, wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out the dough into a 12-inch round between 2 sheets of floured parchment paper. Remove the top piece of parchment and invert the dough onto the prepared baking sheet; remove the other piece of parchment. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Make the filling: Toss the blueberries, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Whisk the cream cheese, egg yolk, remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and nutmeg in a separate bowl.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Top with the blueberries. Fold the edge of the dough over the filling. Drizzle the remaining cream cheese mixture over the berries; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Put an inverted baking sheet in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Put the baking sheet with the galette directly on the hot baking sheet in the oven. Bake until the crust is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing.