Crunchy tomatoes, crisp lettuce and delicious, buttery avocado make this otherwise traditional sandwich a winner. This sandwich works well for a weekend lunch or a light dinner during this transition to the summer season.
BLT Plus Avocado
- 12 slices (1 pound) thick bacon
- 8 slices hearty multigrain bread
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 avocados
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices tomato
- 4 leaves red or green leaf lettuce
- Bake bacon on foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet in 400° oven until bacon is crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel to absorb fat. Roll up foil with bacon fat and discard, for easy clean-up.
- Broil bread slices on baking sheet under preheated broiler. Turn once, to brown on both side. Transfer bread to work surface.
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- Halve, pit and peel avocados. Place avocado half, cut side down on top of 4 slices of bread. Slice avocado and fan slices out onto bread. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top avocado with 3 bacon slices, cut to fit.
- Add 2 tomato slices and 1 lettuce leaf.
- Place bread slice, mayonnaise side down on top of each lettuce leaf.
A few crunchy potato chips on the side are a nice addition.